[evlatests] VLA Antenna Gain Stability

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 28 12:37:45 EDT 2017

     The memo I submitted a couple weeks back lays out a method for
calibrating the Tcals, from which the antenna efficiencies can be
measured.  The goal is to enable accurate amplitude calibration of the
visibilities without the need for an external calibrator. Equally
important -- if the Tcals are accurate, then our estimates of system
temperature are also accurate, and reliable estimates of data weights
can be generated for optimal imaging.

     This is a nice and useful goal, but won't be practical if the Tcal
and antenna efficiencies aren't stable for long periods of time.  We
certainly expect them to be stable -- but a demonstration would inspire
some confidence.

     I have analyzed the gains from three observations made on February
5, Februay 19 and March 21.  Not a long span, but long enough to get an
idea how inherently stable the antennas are.  The setups were identical
for all three.   X-band referenced pointing was used.  Switched power
values were applied to remove effects of changing gains.  Antenna
voltage gains were derived from an observation of 3C286 at high
elevation (very high -- 79, 67 and 85 degrees respectively).  Weather
was excellent for all three observations.  Two spectral windows ('IFs')
for each band were used, with frequencies chosen to span each band.

     The mean gain and dispersions (agreed -- 3 values don't give robust
statistics, but are indicative ...) were generated for each antenna,
spectral window, and polarization.  I then computed the median gain and
median dispersion over all antennas, both polarization and both spectral
windows.  (The median, rather than mean, to minimize the effect of
outliers, of which there are a few).  The results are quite impressive,
and better than I had expected:

Band   Med.Avg    Med.Disp

---------------------------------------

L             0.981         0.004

S             0.954         0.005

C            0.957          0.005

X            0.951          0.007

Ku           0.969         0.007

K            0.986          0.016

Ka          0.990          0.026

Q            1.013         0.038

     For the lower frequency bands, it seems that better than 1% gain
accuracy is easily within reach.  The rapid rise in the dispersion at
high frequencies is exactly as expected for residual pointing errors.

     The slightly less than 1.0 average gain means we are slightly
over-correcting the raw visibilities with the standard values of Tcal
and/or efficiency.  Q-band higher than 1.0 gain is likely because we are
using an optimistically high value of efficiency (-- this is again
likely a pointing effect -- the efficiencies used were based on
measurements made by Bob Hayward and me, where we carefully did beam
cuts through the calibrator source -- something that can't be done in
standard observing).

     Note that separating Tcal from efficiency is not required for
accurate pre-calibration of the gains -- we could simply apply the
necessary corrections to the efficiency alone (or the Tcal). (This
procedure was employed on the old VLA -- the factor was called the
'peculiar gain', and was periodically measured and applied).  The
advantage of the extra effort required to independently determine the
Tcal and efficiencies is the calculation of the true system temperature.

     Not all antennas have been measured yet.   A few more observations
over the next few months would be useful in determining the long-term
stability.