[evlatests] Demise of the 'Heat-Pipe' Theory?

Wes Grammer wgrammer at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 14 18:19:30 EDT 2017

The three active He compressors (A, B and D) should be connected as
follows on all antennas (as far as I know):

A -> (S, Ku, K)
B -> (C, X, Q)
D -> (L, Ka)

Given  each compressor has a mix of high and low-frequency bands, it
doesn't seem as likely there's a correlation with supply pressure,
because you'd expect any LNA gain change to track the cold temperatures
in a similar fashion, regardless of band.

I do know the upper platform in the Vertex room experiences more diurnal
temperature variation than down on the floor. Looking at yesterday's
data on ea17 as an example, it's about 5C for L & S bands which are
close the floor, while it's ~7-8C for C & X bands and ~11-12 for Ku, K,
Ka and Q bands, which are all up top.

Physical location seems to effect the total temperature change on the
upper platform as well: the C & X band receivers are basically on one
side of the platform, while the four higher bands are clustered together
on the other side.

The post-amps used in the receivers are not the temperature-compensated
models, to my knowledge, except for the noise cal amplifier used in the
upgraded receivers with solar Tcals. I don't have data on their tempco,
but I think I could ask the vendor about this.

-Wes