[evlatests] P-band switched power observed at S-band

Paul Demorest pdemores at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 17 16:42:58 EDT 2016

hi everyone,

While looking into various switched power issues recently, I noticed
that the state of the low-band (4/P) cal switching causes a significant
change in switched power (aka Pdif) measurements done at S-band.  This
is not a subtle effect; for several antennas the S-band Pdif changes by
a factor of ~1.5 to 2 (!) when the low-band cals are switching.

Note this is _not_ the same effect as the gain modulations that lead to
apparent "Pdif compression" as we have also been discussing recently.
As far as I can tell, the low-band cal switching has no detectable
effect on the amplifier gains at S-band.  Rather, the effect observed
here is that when the low-band cals are switching, there is an extra
amount of switched power added to the S-band Pdif.

This is easy to test by separately controlling the state of the P- and
S-band cal switching and plotting the resulting Pdif values vs time, as
produced by the correlator and recorded in the SDM switched power table.
  The attached three plots show the results of this for three different
antennas.  In these plots, the red labels and dashed lines show which
cals were enabled at different times during the test.  All cals other
than P and S were disabled the entire time.  Note that at each scan
boundary (black dashed lines) the system temporarily reverts to the
default state (both S+P cals on) until I send a command to change it.

The different antennas show a wide range of behavior:  ea01 looks great
- a consistent S-band Pdif is seen independent of P-band, and the Pdif
level goes to zero when the cals are turned off.  In contrast, for ea03
the amount of switched power coming from P-band seems comparable to that
coming from the S-band cal itself! (ea03 was the worst case in this
test.)  The third one shown here, ea05, is somewhere in between with a
~10% effect.

This is summarized for all antennas in the table below, which shows the
ratio of the P-band-only to S-band-only Pdif values, sorted by the IF-A
value.  The starred antennas are those with 4-band MJPs installed (at
least according to the war room white board); there does not seem to be
much correlation between this and the Pdif values.

I have not yet looked at this effect on receivers besides S, or checked
carefully for frequency dependence within S-band (this test used a
single 128 MHz subband centered at 3.0 GHz); I may look into this some
more in the near future.  Other questions, comments, suggestions are
welcome.

Cheers,
Paul

----