[evlatests] switched power issues

Rob Selina rselina at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 8 12:56:30 EDT 2016

Hi all,

Picking up on Paul's insight below, and recent data from the moon compression test, I think I've developed a plausible hypothesis for a significant source of Pdiff compression. I've asked Rick for some time at tomorrow's test meeting to review and discuss. Slides attached for those interested.

Short version - I think Paul is right that there is gain modulation that leads to antenna power being added or subtracted from the Pcal in the Pdiff measurement (creating Pdiff expansion or compression respectively). However, I think the modulation gets progressively worse with increased system temperature (rather than something unique to the out-of-band cal signals), and is likely due to a perturbance of the LNA or post-amp bias.

Cheers,
Rob