[evlatests] Applying Switched Power -- another caveat

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 11 14:58:55 EDT 2015

     At the test-engineering meeting  yesterday, I gave a ringing
endorsement of automatic application of switched power.

     My single significant caveat was that the PDif values are greatly
sensitive to RFI, so that we will certainly need good filtering software
before blindly applying these value.

     I should have mentioned one more -- that the switched power
mechanism be working properly!  In the October data, there are two good
examples of what is *not* working well:

     At Q-band, ea26 had zero-mean PDif -- either the diode is
non-functional, or the 10 Hz switching was off.  Application of the
(zero mean gaussian noise) would really mess up the visibility data!
     More subtle was ea23 in the RCP at C-band.  The plot of PDif looks
normal -- but instead of ~ 100 millicounts, the mean level was a measly
4 millicounts --- and the PDif values for Cygnus A and Taurus A were
actually negative (this offset due to the PDif Compression).  I have no
idea how this could have happened.

     This note is not a call for action on these antennas -- these data
are 11 months old, so it's likely these problems have been found and
corrected.  It's just a reminder that constant vigilance will be needed
to ensure good results from the on-board calibration.