[evlatests] 10-second no-fringe problem

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 1 15:18:30 EDT 2015

     Ken wondered if the problem noted yesterday occurred at any other
band.

     The answer appears to be 'no'.    I've checked P, L, S, C and Ku
bands.  All clean.

     However, appearances can be deceiving:    Every non-X-band
observation in my script requires a change in frequency from some other
band.  This requires a subreflector rotation, plus correlator
reconfiguration, which in most cases takes up more than 10 seconds.
Hence, I don't think it's actually possible to judge whether this
'mis-tuning' issue occurs other than at X-band  -- the only band where
there is no subreflector motion, as it is taken following X-band
referenced pointing.

     The possible exception will be changes between Q and Ka -- rotation
is very small for this pair.    A review of the data shows no evidence
of the initial 10-second no-fringe problem.

     Rick