[evlatests] Tcal accuries at P-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 2 20:06:38 EDT 2014

     A recent test at P-band observed both Cygnus A and some good
calibrators (3C48 and 3C380).  The primary goal was to test linearity of
the system -- results for this will be presented later (but the news is
very good).

     Here I report on the accuracy of the Tcal values.

     All antennas except ea13 and ea18 had good values of PDif.  If the
Tcal values are correct, and the efficiencies utilized are correct, the
visibility data for the calibrators, following application of the
switched power should equal the known source flux densities.

     For this test, I chose a single subband, at 312 MHz.  (Reason --
this subband had the least RFI).   After basic editing, the switched
powers were applied, and CALIB run on the two calibrators listed above.

     The mean solutions (for 'R' and 'L') were within 5% of 1.0. That's
the good news.

     The not-so-quite good news is that there is a large scatter. Below
are the CALIB gains needed to bring the data into alignment with the
correct flux densities.  Presuming the utilized efficiencies are
correct, and are the same for every antenna, the error is in the values
of the Tcals.  The needed correction to the Tcal values is the square of
the gain factor listed.  Hence, if the gain factor is 1.1, then the Tcal
value should be increased by 1.21.

Antenna      Gain Factor

1R                     1.08
1L                      1.07