[evlatests] P-Band Beam 'Pedestal'

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu May 22 17:11:50 EDT 2014

     I've previous circulated reports on the elongated 'pedestal' which
underlies the central beam at P-band.
     In short, the central (~ 2 degree) primary beam sits atop an
elliptical pedestal, whose major axis is oriented orthogonally to the
(linear) polarization.  Hence, the vertically polarized beam has a
horizontal pedestal, the horizontally polarized beam a vertical
pedestal.  The extent of the pedestal is approximately 6 degrees from
the beam center.

     Two hypotheses for the origin of the pedestal have been put
forwards -- (1) the quadrupod support legs, and (2) The asymmetric
subreflector -- which is normally oriented such that its asymmetic axis
is aligned with the vertical legs.

     To discriminate between these, we (Michiel and I) generated a
script which does four beam cuts:  horizontal, vertical, +45, and -45
degrees.  Following these, the same four cuts, but with the subreflector
rotated by 45 degrees.   The pedestal would be expected to rotate with
the subreflector, if the latter is responsible for the former.

     Result:

     The position of the subreflector made no difference to the beam
profile in any of the four cuts.    This supports the hypothesis that
the quadrupod legs are the origin of the asymmetric profile.

     We would next like to do a full holography in order to generate the
electric field illumination on the antenna surface.