[evlatests] ea05 P-band beam cuts

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue May 6 13:40:19 EDT 2014

     I took two beam cuts of the the VLA antennas at P-band yesterday.
Attached are the results for ea05, in both power and phase.  Note the
power plot is in dB.

     The previous noted 'shoulder' is easily seen.  Now that (think) we
know which labeled output (R,L) is which polarization (H,V), it can now
be stated that the elliptical 'shoulder' is oriented orthogonally to the
polarization.  Thus, for the 'H' polarization, the shoulder is vertical,
for the 'V' polarization, it is horizontal.   A physical explanation is
still wanting ...

     The phase plots show an interesting feature, previous unknown to
me:  There is a radial phase gradient in the primary beam, slightly
steeper in the directions of the shoulder.   The phase becomes opposite
at about where the first null would be (if there were one ...), and
stays near -180 degrees as far as the raster cuts went (about 15 degrees).

     These plots are of one antenna (hopefully typical), and at one
frequency.  I know from 'SPFLG' plots that the beam and sidelobes obey
the law of diffraction (more or less).  But some more work to check for
details would be useful.  (Any volunteer?)

     It would also be really interesting to do a full holography (say,
41 x 41) to determine the full electrical weighting.

     Rick