[evlatests] Effects of non-focused observing at P-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 6 13:27:03 EST 2014

    The title of this is a bit of a misnomer -- we're *always* out of
focus at P-band ...

    The recent calibrator models run gave me an opportunity to see the
effect of observing at P-band when the subreflector was even further
from the focus than usual.  To recap -- the (approximate) focus for the
VLA antennas lies about 50 cm behind the subreflector in its nominal
position.   We can move the subreflector out (back) about 10 cm from
nominal, resulting in an out-of-focus position of about 40 cm.  This is
done for all P-band observing, and is presumably the origin of the low
efficiency (~ 35%) of the P-band system.

    In the flux models run, I arranged the P-band observations to follow
Ka-band.   This required a subreflector rotation of about 30 degrees,
and a subreflector focus change of typically 10 cm.  The rotation takes
about 5 to 10 seconds to complete, the focus change about 20 seconds.
But there are significant variations between antennas -- the Ka-band
focus position varies amongst the antennas by up to 8 cm -- which allows
us to distinguish the amplitude and phase effects when the subreflector
is in motion.

    I'll show some plots at next week's Test Results meeting (yes, we're
going to have one next week!).  Here I present the 'bottom lines':

    A) There is no discernible change in gain (either amplitude or
phase) due to subreflector rotation.  Comment:  None was expected -- the
rotation is small (about 30 degrees), and it is already known that the
maximum effect of the rotation is to shift the beam pointing by about 10
arcminutes.  This is only 1/12 of the FWHM, resulting in negligible gain
loss.

    B) There is an easily seen loss of gain with increasing out-of-focus
position.  Roughly, the loss of power gain as a function of displacement
D from the 'highest' position is:  1-15(D/lambda)^2.  So, for a
'typical' offset of 10 cm, the loss of gain, w.r.t. the best (up)
position, is about 15%.   This is the worst case -- some antennas appear
to have less loss.

    C) There is a really easily seen change in phase with subreflector
focus change.  The observed relation is a little less than 2 degrees per
centimeter of offset -- about what is expected:  For an on-axis ray, the
change of phase will be 360*D/lambda, or 4 degrees per centimeter of
defocus at 90cm wavelength.  But the great majority of the radiation
arrives from an angle, so the effective displace is reduced.  I'd have
expected 3 degrees/cm, but 2 sounds close enough ...  The effect of this
on observing is very small, as it is shared by all the antennas.  The
typical spread in focus position amongst antennas is ~ 5 cm, resulting
in only ~10 degrees of phase differential.

    All of this is good news for VLITE.