[evlatests] EA14 polarization and VLITE

jjackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 27 13:08:43 EDT 2014

It was always known we would need additional gain on the input of the
VLITE module.  Until the digitizer board was built and characterized, we
just weren't sure of exactly how much.   The high isolation amp in the
module has only 15 dB of gain but can provide the drive level needed for
full scale on the digitizer. It's the same series of amp we used with
the EVLA digitizers. Once Mike had the VLITE digitizer board up and
running in the lab, through measurement and experimentation we
determined we needed about 20dB of additional gain.  Some brand new
ZFL-1000LN's were on hand and seemed to fit the bill. Those amplifiers
are about 23dB of gain as connected to +15VDC in antenna 14.  When we
move them to the internal +12VDC power of the V-Lite module (which we
are doing on the next antenna) that drops to exactly 20dB.  Looking at
the specs of both amplifiers, the internal amplifier driving the
digitizer should to go into compression at least 5dB before the ZFL-1000LN.

As installed in Antenna 14, the module seems to be setting up at
reasonable digitized signal levels with reasonable digital attenuator
settings.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim Jackson
Project/Lead Hardware Engineer
Very Large Array(VLA) / Very Long Baseline Array(VLBA) radio telescopes
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
1003 Lopezville Rd.
P.O. Box O
Socorro, NM 87801