[evlatests] 4band, interference and ea14

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 23 11:51:30 EDT 2014

In the (distant) past, a similar effect was commonly noted at 4-band.
The accepted explanation was either that:

     1) An exceptionally bad antenna is radiating to the others. This
would be most prominent in D configuration.
     or
     2) The supposedly incoherent LOs are sufficiently close in
frequency that, for periods of seconds to tens of seconds, there is
insufficient phase slip between them to destroy the cross-correlation.

     I recall that #2 was in fact the theory I came to embrace, as it
was usually noted that the baselines with strong combs were independent
of antenna location.

     You could test this by looking at the phase of the line
cross-correlation.  If from a single source (i.e., theory #1), the phase
should slip with the fringe rate.  But if from different LOs with
slightly variable phases, the phase relation will be 'different'.  (I'm
not prepared to define 'different', other than it won't be strictly the
same as the fringe phase).

     Rick

Interestingly the 5MHz comb frequencies correlate on baselines to 14 (as
they do on 12-19). Since the 5MHz clock is supposed to be incoherent
from antenna to antenna, there must be a general source of the comb
frequencies, especially 60MHz, which is being broadcast around the site.
Could this be one very bad antenna ? ---Frazer
evlatests at listmgr.cv.nrao.edu