[evlatests] ACU tests -- sky survey mode

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 23 14:10:07 EST 2014

     I've been asked to continue testing of the new ACU-equipped
antennas, using the new 'sky survey' modes.  These allow one to speed
through a specified part of the sky at different rates.

     An initial test was run yesterday.  For this initial test, I picked
two positions:  the first one (true) degree east of 3C48, the other one
degree west of 3C48.    Six 'cuts' were specified, each traversing the
two degree separation.   The idea was to get a nice cut through the
primary beam, roughly from the 2nd null on one side to the second null
on the other.  They specified cuts were:

     1) West side to East side in 4 minutes.  This is twice the
'sidereal' rate.
     2) East side to West side in 4 minutes.         ditto
     3) West side to East side in 2 minutes.   This is 4X sidereal
     4) East side to West side in 2 minutes.           ditto
     5) West side to East side in 1 minute.    This is 8X sidereal
     6) East side to west side in 1 minute.             ditto

     Averaging time was set to 0.1 seconds.  For each of these six cuts,
I specified 100 phase steps.  So, for the first two cuts, the number of
integrations per phase step was 24.  For the next two, 12, and for the
last two, 6 integrations/step.

     The results were *completely* different than expected.

     Each antenna moved at a different rate!  The only antennas which
traveled at close to the specified rates were ea04, 06, 15, 17, 20, 22,
and 28.  Some antennas zipped through the pattern at many, many times
the specified rate.  The most extreme example was ea18, which went
through the pattern at about six times the specified rate. This
'amplification' factor was the same for all five completed cuts.  (For
reasons unknown, the last cut was not executed).

     Furthermore, the profiles show that only the 'slow' antennas with
smooth motion. The faster the cut, the more jagged the profile.  The
fastest ones are actually in big steps -- looking rather like holography
mode!

     It's easy to find the basic relation -- the antenna motion
amplification is a factor of the fringe rate!  The target source was
rising over the west arm -- elevation = 50 degrees, at which point the
motion is almost entirely in elevation.  Fringe rates are high for the
west arm, and low for the others.  All the 'fast' antennas were on the
west arm -- the further out the arm, the faster the antenna moved (and
the more steplike).  All the 'slow' antennas were near the center of the
array, on the E and N arms.
     Examination of the cuts show that the antennas did not start and
stop at the specified points, but overshot -- on both ends by a factor
of up to  nearly six.

     So something is clearly not right here.  I don't think I did any
illegal in the setup (the OPT is really simple for this mode).  But
clearly it's not working in any sensible manner.