[evlatests] Flux Redux Results

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 4 15:46:53 EDT 2013

    'Flux Redux' refers to another lengthy (~18 hour) test run last
week, primarily to check on system robustness, and to confirm whether
thermal isolation of the Ku-band noise diodes is sufficient to remove
the notable (~6%) temperature sensitivity of the array's gain.

    The methodology is the same as for the bigger 'Flux Densities' run:
Rapid observations at every band (typically 25 seconds at each band) for
a large number of sources -- in this case, 61 different objects, each
observed two or three times.

    The first (and possibly most important) result is that there were
*no* correlator failures.  The timing problem which plagued the longer
earlier run has been repaired, and the system seems immune to the worst
I can make it do.  :)  .  A quick inspection indicates all intended
observations were made.
    Perhaps even better -- no other failure modes were uncovered.   From
past experience, we might have anticipated that another, unsuspected
failure mode would surface -- none did.

    Because there were no correlator crashes, and as I carefully ensured
that 'set and remember' worked at the beginning, the 'PDif' values in
nearly all IFs are now smooth curves.  This permits useful statements to
be made about switch stability, and other system characteristics.

I've completed calibration of the X-band portion of the data.  In
general, the data quality is outstanding.  But there are some issues
with the switched power, and other system characteristics, that I
summarize below.

    1) ea02 has very low switched power -- undoubtedly caused by the
high reported system temperature:  about 500 -- 800 K.

    2) ea05 dropped out for about an hour (at about 8AM), and when it
came back, the power levels were at very different values (typically a
factor of 2 different).  I presume the antenna was taken out of
service.  But in doing this, are the attenuator values then forgotten?

    3) ea11B and ea12A shows highly variable (~30%) PDif values, not
shared by the other three IFs.  Bad switch?

    4) ea14, in all four IFs, showed an *extradorinary* time variability
in its PDif and PSum.  PDif smoothly dropped by a factor of about seven
over a duration of about two hours.  The gain slowly returned to normal
over the succeeding 9 hours.   The visibilities also changed, but are
not fully corrected by application of PDif.

    5) ea23 had some sort of DTS issue on all four IFs -- each had
something unusual in the bandpass.  All four were different.  IFs A and
D were most affected, and had to be flagged.

    Finally:  Following the usual calibration regimen, I have plotted
the residual gains vs. time.  There is no detectable signature of
time-variable gain at X-band, to a level of better than 1%.  Note
however, that:  the temperature range was not so great this time (about
16C, compared to 22C in the earlier run), and that the duration of this
run was much less than 24 hours.  In the previous, longer run, the
effect was no more than 1% in power, and was easily visible on only a
few antennas.   The current result is consistent with the older one.

    More critical is the Ku-band test.  These data are being reduced next.