[evlatests] Slow Wobbles -- back with a vengeance!

rperley at nrao.edu rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 17 19:23:02 EST 2013

A very interesting suggestion, which clearly would result in a beating
fringe of about the right period, and scale with frequency as observed...

I haven't checked the u-dependence yet, but if memory serves me right, I
had established that there was this relationship in the original dataset
taken a few weeks back.  I'll check this tomorrow with the current data.

It may not be seen to 'close' if -- as is likely the case -- the spur is
present on only a few antennas.  As an example, suppose only two antennas
have this spur.  Then only the single baseline between them will show the
beat.  No way to solve for that on an antenna basis.  As it turns out,
only a few antennas have detectable beats, so perhaps the failure to close
is a SNR effect.  Incidentally, the baseline shown in the plots (2 X 23)
is an adjacent pair of antennas on the North arm -- u is quite small for
this baseline.  Of all the baselines with a visible 'beat', this one had
the longest period.

I don't see how this mechanism could cause the beating fringe to be so
strong on only two of the subbands, and virtually invisible on the others
...  And why is it only on the LCP polarization?  Shouldn't it be in both,
if due to an LO spur?