[evlatests] L-band passbands explained!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 26 15:33:11 EDT 2013

    I circulated a report on Sunday, noting that the remarkable
improvement in L-band passband shapes is entirely due to the replacement
of the old (narrowband) receivers with new ones, and asking for an
explanation of why the band-edge rolloff, so prominently visible in S,
C, and X band observation (with the 8-bit system) is absent from the
L-band data.

    Keith and Emmanuel have provided me the explanation:

    The essence is in the use of the 64-MHz-wide spectral windows in the
default setup for L-band.

    There are two obvious ways to obtain a full 1024 MHz-wide coverage
at L-band:

    1)  Utilize only one IF pair (say, A and C), and tune this to the
988 to 2012 MHz passband.   There would be eight 128 MHz-wide spectral
windows, with 2 MHz spectral resolution for full polarization.

    2) Utilize both IF pairs, tuning the first to (say) 988 to 1500 MHz,
and the second to (say) 1500 to 2012 MHz.  In this case we get 64
MHz-wide spectral windows with 1 MHz spectral resolution and full
polarization.

    Simply from spectral resolution arguments alone, the second option
is preferred.  But there is another benefit (which I had forgotten):
The correlator is able to utilize its spectral window formation
capabilities to place the eight 64 MHz-wide spectral windows anywhere
within the 1024 MHz-wide input IF.  So, in the new default tuning
arrangements:

    IFs A and C are tuned to 802 to 1826 MHz (center of 1308 MHz).  The
correlator's first stage filter forms eight 128-MHz-wide subbands, from
which the eight 64 MHz-wide spectral windows are selected.  The low-end
rolloff is avoided as the eight narrow windows are taken from 2nd
through 6th of the original subbands.
    IFs B and D are tuned to 1170 through 2194 MHz.  The eight
64-MHz-wide spectral windows are selected from the third through seventh
of the original 128-MHz-wide subbands, thus avoiding the low-frequency
rolloff, which is in the lowest two subbands.

    Emmanuel reminds me that this tuning arrangement was recommended in
his Memo #159.