[evlatests] New Gain curves ready...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 25 10:25:10 EDT 2012

    The 'gain curves' run of last Friday night has produced excellent
results, particularly at the higher frequencies, where the antenna gain
function is strongest.  New coefficients (normalized to the zenith --
only for convenience) have been determined, and will be circulated later
today.  (There are a couple of checks that I'd like to do to ensure the
results are of the highest quality).
    As expected some antennas are anomalous (ea15 and ea18 in
particular, but some others as well).  A complete list will be
circulated later.   And, for some antennas and IFs, particularly at the
lower frequencies, there are clearly other elevation-dependent effects
which dominate the antenna gain function.  Again, I'll summarize all
this in a later circular.

    To emphasize just how well we can point (admittedly, under ideal
conditions) -- the post-fit rms at Q-band, for most antennas, is between
3 and 4 arcseconds.