[evlatests] Pdiff compression, hardware update

Keith Morris kmorris at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 31 14:36:02 EDT 2012

On Monday, Rick conducted another pdiff compression test, this time
observing Taurus A at 5 different receiver bands -- L, S, C, X, and Ku.
  Nothing* in these tests suggests a clear correspondence between the
most compressed antennas and any particular receiver band; the most
compressing antennas seem to be randomly distributed across receiver
bands.  For example, at L-band, ea23 is the 7th most compressed antenna,
while ea23 is the most linear antenna at C-band.

*The one possible exception is ea25, which showed rather bad compression
at L, S, and C bands.  This could be a coincidence, or it could be due
to unleveled receiver outputs coupled with a misbehaving T302.  We will
swap the T302 tomorrow.

At the most recent pdiff compression meeting, it was suggested that we
should identify two or more antennas to modify next.  We will visit
ea18, ea21, and ea25 tomorrow, and set receiver output levels at the 5
bands that Rick tested in the Taurus A script.  Rick -- can you re-run
the test after we do this?

--
Keith Morris
National Radio Astronomy Observatory