[evlatests] [evla-sw-discuss] parameter simplification for the VHF receivers

Barry Clark bclark at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 16 12:33:09 EDT 2012

I believe the principal reason the question arises is to get the
proper Tcal associated with each subband.  The current machinery
will do that pretty well, whether the band is regarded as two
receivers or one.  It interpolates Tcal from a curve as a function
of frequency stored for each "receiver", where we can choose
"receiver" to mean front end or baseband, as we wish.  There is
a technical peculiarity of the current implementation that requires
the Tcals to be measured over the whole band in a single run, but
this can be faked if needed.

The other reason one might want to separate the receivers by name is
the one I mentioned previously, that it is possible that one might
like a different delay setting for the two receivers.  I suspect
we can get away without this, but we should think about it.

I have not been maintaining the online Tcal database for these
receivers, because the receivers do not identify themselves in
the monitor data (or at least didn't - is this still true?) and
in the current stage of development I do not trust people to not
swap receivers when I'm not watching.