[evlatests] Zeeman problem?

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 21 09:51:27 EDT 2011

Hi Barry --

   boy, would I love this to be the explanation (regardless of how silly
we'll all feel :)  It should be easy to confirm:

1- This would have been true with the old correlator as well as the new,
   but I thought we were told that the old correlator did not see this
   sort of problem.  Emmanuel, can you confirm that was on much weaker
   lines?

2- This argument suggests that the self-noise varies from channel to channel
   directly proportional to the signal in that channel.
   - this should be seen in all Stokes parameters, so the noise in
     self-cal'd Stokes I should be similar.  Hard to check with recent A
     cfg data but should be obvious in older stuff, and in a new D cfg image.
   - Stokes V spectrum should show noise prop.to the line in that channel.
   - Higher-resolution observations should show different noise levels
     depending on the shape of the spectral line.
   This might be tough to see but perhaps do-able.

   I believe we looked at some very strong lines in L band.  Did those show
   the increased noise?

3- Self-noise should integrate down with time; my impression was that
   this did not.  Emmanuel, can you confirm?  It might be interesting to
   try stacking the data from several observations in this regard.

Cheers,

                  Michael