[evlatests] PDif Correction Failures

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 25 12:09:35 EDT 2011

    The previous note gave the fraction of antennas which are badly
behaved in their PDif values.  (Note:  Be aware of my definition of
failure in that previous note -- the 'failure fraction' is not the
fraction of attempts which gave a different or variable value, but
rather is the fraction of antennas which -- over time -- give unsteady
values of PDif).

    Here I tally up the failures for PDif values to correct the
visibilities.  That is -- following application of PDif to the
visibility data, which antennas were *not* adequately corrected for the
changes in visibility amplitude caused by poor switches?

     The list is quite short -- meaning that application of PDif nearly
always corrects the gain variability associated with the bad switches.

    Band      Notes
--------------------------------
L             ea28 in LCP.  PDif here is wildly variable most of the
time.  There are periods of good behavior.
S             ea6C -- ~7% changes in PDif which are *not* seen in the
visibilities.
C             ea25 in A and C:  Five of the 37 scans showed a 2% change
in PDif not seen in visibilities.
X             ea12 in IF 'D' -- PDif is simply large values of random
noise.
Ku           ea18 in all IFs:  ~2% variations in PDif not seen in
visibilities
               ea25 in all IFs:  ~10% variations in PDif not seen in
visibilities
K             All short-scale changes in visibilities are corrected by
PDif, to ~2% accuracy.
Ka           ea01, in RCP:  PDif provides large random values most of
the time (this is like ea28 at L-band).
               Failures at the <5% level cannot be easily distinguished
from pointing errors.
Q            Same as K-band, but at the 10% level, set by the pointing
repeatability.

Bottom Line:  Except for the few failures in PDif noted above,
application of PDif does an excellent job in correcting for the
switch-induced gain losses.

Unfortunately, we cannot yet recommend automatic application of PDif to
our visibility data because of the clear evidence that PDif is reacting
to changes other than in the gain.