[evlatests] Some Good News about Switched Power (Really!)

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Sat Oct 22 16:11:02 EDT 2011

    In order to measure the variation of antenna gain with elevation,
data were taken last evening of 3C345, from its transit (at elevation
82) to setting (at elevation 8).  I used the 'old-OSRO' setup (2
subbands with widely different frequencies) and all eight bands, running
in a continuous loop.  Referenced pointing was was determined for each
cycle -- about every 10 minutes -- and applied to all bands.  The
weather conditions were exceptionally good.

    I have reduced only the X-band data so far -- I used 8300 and 11300
MHz.  The results are very impressive.

    1) Because the bands were changed continuously (in fact, 8 bands *
37 observations = 296 times), 'tuning failures' and fringe amplitude
irregularities are expected.  And they were found.  At X-band, 10 of the
37 observations had one or two (usually just one) antennas without
fringes.  The failures were most common with antenna 8 (4 times), then
antennas 24 and 13 (twice each), then antennas 25 and 20 (once each).
All others fringed for every scan.   The failure rate is  10/(37*27) =
1.0%.

    2) But the failure rate -- as defined above -- is only half the
story.  We have the attenuation change issue as well - the switches
apparently have a slightly variable attenuation, which causes both a
change in amplitude and a change in bandpass shape.  This problem was
certainly evident in the X-band data, with antennas 4A, 13C, 14C, 18C
and 25C being notably poor.  (4A and 14C are especially bad).  Note
however that the majority of the antennas do not show this problem
beyond, say, a single occurrence.

    3) Now for the  Good News!  Application of the PDif values
beautifully corrects nearly all of the gain variations noted!  Following
an elevation fit (via ELINT), the post-correction residuals vary for
nearly all antennas by less than 1% over the length of the observation.