[evlatests] More on compression and switched power

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 20 19:44:30 EDT 2011

    Another observation of Cyg A and two local calibrators at L, S, C,
and X bands was made yesterday to improve our knowledge of what works,
and what doesn't work...

    I've reduced only the L and C band data so far.  But these are
enough to make some things a little clearer.  Unfortunately, the
situation is complicated, and there's more than one problem ...

    1) At both L and C bands, observing Cyg A causes the PDif values to
decline *in general* compared to the local calibrators -- by a
significant fraction at L-band (generally 10 to 30 %), and much less at
C-band.  Application of these PDif values to the data does partially
restore the flux density of Cygnus A towards the correct values -- but
not completely.   The best example of an incorrect correction comes from
Cband, where (as has long been reported), ea24, in IF 'A' has a PDif
compression of about 40% when on Cyg A.  Application of this value to
the visibilities hugely overcorrects the visibilities -- and
self-calibration promptly removes the entire correction!

    So it would appear that the statement made by me a few months ago
that PDif compression does not affect the visibilities, and the
statement made by me yesteday that the PDif compression does affect the
visibilities are both correct!

    2) Perhaps more serious, and possibly unrelated, is the non-closing
nature of the Cygnus A data at L-band.   Calibration of the Cyg A L-band
data (either with, or without the PDif applied) gives a result where it
is clear there are large (tens of percent, and sometimes larger) closing
errors.  This is most easily seen by plotting the Stokes 'V'
visibilities after calibration -- these have amplitudes of tens to
hundreds of Janskys!!!  This cannot possibly be due to the beam squint
(Cyg A is only 1/15 of a L-band beam wide).
       On the other hand, the C-band Cyg A data self-calibrate very
beautifully -- the 'V' stokes visibilities are now at the level of 1% or
less ... quite explainable by the squint.

    So what can cause the closure failure?  I note that Cyg A quadruples
the system temperature -- and that the T304s are running 'hot' -- the
output attenuators are typically at 25 to 31 dB.   Are we overflowing
something in the digital system?  Overflowing the requantizer seems
unlikely to cause a closure problem, but what if we are overflowing the
cross-multiplier accumulators.  Note that Cyg A has a correlation
coefficient of over 75% at L-band ...

    We plan some test tomorrow to see if reducing the input power can
restore the closure relations...