[evlatests] Switched Power Compression?

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 19 17:31:05 EDT 2011

    We have long noted that the values of 'PDif' (Cal On - Cal Off)
changed when the antennas observed a strong source.  This, in spite of
holding the antenna electronic gains constant.  In some cases, the
change has been noted to be very large -- exceeding 25%, and generally
in the 'compressive' sense -- the values of 'PDif' decreased when
observing a strong source such as Cygnus A.

    There was reported (by me), a few months ago, weak evidence that
this 'compression' did not occur to the visibilities -- so that
application of the switched power values would degrade the visibility
data.    These data were taken on 3C273, which provides only ~2K of
antenna temperature.

    As we are now in D configuration, a much better test of whether the
visibilities are not affected by the PDif compression issue can now be
done using Cygnus A.  This source has a big effect on Tsys (up to 120K
at L-band), and certainly causes the PDif values to change.

    A short observation was taken last evening of 3C286 (calibrator) and
Cygnus A.  Unfortunately, the observations of the former were taken at a
low elevation, and four antennas were shadowed when on 3C286 and could
not be used for calibration.  This is a problem only in that these
represent many short spacings, which are the useful ones for this
experiment.  Nevertheless, the major result seems to be clear:

    *** The Visibility data *are* compressed in a manner similar to that
of the PDif Values ***

    Application of the PDif values provides  flux values for Cyg A much
closer to the known total flux.  Calibration without applying the PDif
values results in Cygnus A flux density significantly too low --
especially at L and S bands, where the antenna temperatures due to Cyg A
are high.

    Almost every antenna shows a strong reduction in the 'PDif' values
when observing Cygnus A at L-band.  In a following report, I will
provide the compression factors.  In general, the amount of compression
declines with increasing frequency.
Curiously, the strong compression formerly seen on ea24 in RCP at C-band
is now completely absent!!!

    L-band also provides another problem -- some baselines, notably
those connecting antennas 8, 20, 23, and 28 -- are giving *enormous*
closure errors when on Cygnus A, but not on 3C286.  'Enormous' means
tens to hundreds of percent!  Something is seriously amiss here.

    There are other (unhappy) issues with the PDif system which I shall
report on separately.