[evlatests] More results from 3-bit tests

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 16 18:49:50 EST 2011

    A 3 hour run using the seven 3-bit antennas was taken just around
sundown.  There were three point sources (strong, medium, weak), plus a
noise field.  All seven antennas fringed stably -- the data are
excellent.   All SY table values are good -- virtually no editing was
required, either in the visibilities or in the SY table.

    For this run, we tuned to the range 14 -- 16 GHz (with the 8-bit
path tuned to 15 -- 16).  This avoids the nasty super-birdie coming from
ea07 (at 13894 MHz --- NB  it would be very good to understand the
origin of this!  Even better would be to get rid of it!).  Examination
of the autocorrelation spectra show -- as expected -- that each
antenna/polarization has the resonance phenomenon, which occurs at a
different frequency for each. The peak intensity is typically 10 times
the noise in a single 2 MHz channel.  Faint images of these are found in
the cross-power spectra -- most likely due only to the increase of noise
due to the power in the affected channels.

    Bandpass solutions were made for both 3-bit paths and the 8-bit
path.  The stability is disappointing for all three.  I'll comment more
on this later.

    I've already commented on the variation of the PDif values with both
source strength and elevation.  It is absolutely clear that the PDifs
are responding to total system power.   The mechanism by which this is
happening remains elusive.

    Comparison of the PDif values with Visibilities shows that the
visibilities are not affected by this compression problem -- or at
least, not to the same degree.

    Since the data which I used two days ago to derive the system
sensitivities -- and the degradation of this compared to the 'golden'
8-bit path -- had the PDif values applied, I made sure that for this new
database, the calibration was done against the source whose system
temperature was closest to that of the blank field.  When this is done,
I find that the noise degradation factor caused by the 3-bit system are
rather worse than reported earlier.  Although I have made histograms for
each polarization and each antenna pair for each of the three paths
(tedious!), the 'bottom line' is the noise in a sky image.  So I've done
this, and the result is that, in the A1C1 path, the noise is 10% higher
than in the B0D0.  In the A2C2 path, the noise is 14% higher.  The
difference in the A1C1 to A2C2 paths is easily seen in the histograms.
ea06RCP-2 has a much higher degradation than any other
antenna/polarization -- by 35%!  Something fishy there ...

    Although there was only 3 hours of data, I got quite convincing
cross-polarization solutions (remarkable, given that the parallactic
angle rotated by only ~35 degrees).  Comparison of these solutions for
all three paths shows great similarity (as there should be!),
especially in phase.   But there are remarkable differences in the
D-term amplitudes for some antennas -- as much as 1 to 2%.   This is
quite a bit more than I had expected (and hoped!) to see.    I have
plots for those interested in seeing them.
    The possibility that the cross-polarizations are different is not
actually important, so long as they are stable over time.  The duration
over which this run was taken was not long enough to search reliably for
*changes* in the cross polarization over this time.  We are planning to
try this tonight, with a longer run which includes 3C147 -- a source
whose polarization is well known.  (The run last night did not include a
polarization calibrator, so the true R-L phase is unknown).

    Stay tuned.  I intend this next run to be the last test!