[evlatests] 3-bit sensitivity

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 15 11:53:24 EST 2011

    The Friday night '3-bit' test has revealed much information.  Here I
report on the obtained sensitivities.

    I've derived the sensitivities via histograms of the noise when
observing a blank field.  The observing frequency used for this was
14.45 GHz, for all three 'paths' -- the 8-bit, and the two 3-bit paths.
All three employ the same receiver and downconversion paths.  The
separation occurs within the T304 module.  Any differences observed must
originate in or after that module.

    I measured the noise histograms for all 30 parallel-hand correlator
products for each of the three paths.   For the 8-bit path, the rms
noise amongst all 30 correlators was extremely uniform:  rangiong from
134 to 155 mJy, corresponding to an SEFD range of 250 to 290 Jy -- spot
on the expectations from system temperature and antenna efficiency.

    As expected, the noise histograms for the 3-bit paths are all
higher.  But there are interesting patterns!

    Looking at A2C2 first:  The median degradation amongst all
correlators is by a factor of 1.13 to 1.14 (fit by eye!).  However, it
is quite clear that two antenna-IFs are considerably worse than the
others:  7R and 14L.  If we exclude these two, then the median
degradation is 1.10, with a range from 1.03 to 1.14.  We expect a loss
of about 3 to 4% due to the 3-bit quantizers (is this the right factor?).

    A curiously different pattern emerges from A1C1, both better and
worse.    First -- the poorer results from 7R and 14L are again seen.
But added to this is a much degraded noise in 23R.  Upon inspection, it
is found that this is due to rapid time variability in the noise --
there appear to be 'up' and 'down' states, separated by seconds of
time.  I haven't attempted to derive the noise in the 'down' states --
likely it is what we expect.  Removing these three antenna-IFs from the
noise measurements results in a median noise degradation remarkably
small!  My 'chi-by-eye' fit shows a mediatn degradation of only 1.05 to
1.07 -- only slightly worse than we expect.

    I will review these interesting results later today.

    A later email will better document some less pleasant features of
these 3-bit data -- internal birdies, and curious differences in
polarization between the two 3-bit paths.