[evlatests] Temperature-sensitive gains at Ku, K, Ka, and Q bands

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 1 19:41:05 EDT 2011

Rick asked about how we can determine if the noise diode calibration
level (i.e., T(Cal)) is changing with temperature on an antenna.

I ran several tests in December 2010 that gives us a handle on what is
happening but we will need to do further tests this winter to better
understand it.

The test that I did used the C-Band on Antenna 7 over a 30 hour period.
It was set to a frequency of 5 GHz, pointed at the zenith and not
allowed to move. Using the EVLA Monitor Archive I collected the Total
Power (TP) and Switched Power Ratio (SDR, sometimes referred to as SP)
values from the T304, along with the physical temperatures of the
Weather Station, the Vertex Cabin and the receiver's RF Box where the
noise diode is mounted.

This was in the early days of Ken Sowinski's new SDR algorithm which
determines the percentage power that the noise diode adds to the
receiver based on the variance of the T(off) & T(on) of the 10 Hz
switched noise diode waveform. It is essentially a phase-insensitive
detector scheme, which is necessary since the T304 does not know what
the noise diode switching waveform is doing. Ken's SDR is, essentially,
given by

          TP(variance)     P(Sys+On) - P(Sys+Off)
    SDR = ------------  =  ----------------------
               TP                P(Sys+Off)

which is the incremental change of (linear) power from the T(Cal).  We
try to set the T(cal) levels on our receivers to be 5% of T(sys). Ken's
SDR usually comes up with a value of 0.05 for the typical receiver. The
SDR is then used to determine the System Temperature by

    T(Sys)  = T(Cal) / SDR

For this experiment, the SDR should stay flat with time unless there is
a change in T(Sys). The SDR value is not affected by changes in gain in
the signal path since the ratio eliminates this common gain factor. As
we are looking at Zenith with (hopefully) no RFI present in the band,
the SDR in a perfect system should be unchanging. Dew or frost could
affect things but this is unlikely since no rapid changes in SDR were
seen. Thus if we see a change in SDR, and it is not from T(Sys)
according to our assumptions, it must be from a change in the injected
T(Cal) level. Since we had a 30 hour run, we should see the effect of
the diurnal temperature change on the noise diode.

I have attached a number of plots of the analysis of the data:

Page 1 shows the temperature change over the run. Note that the outside
temperature changed by 30C, the Vertex Cabin by 4C while the receiver
temperature changed by 9C. Note that the receiver sensor is not actually
mounted on the noise diode itself, so its value is not completely accurate.

Page 2 is a normalized plot of the temperature changes. We were
surprised that the receiver was changing by this much. We were hoping
the temperature stabilization inside the Vertex Cabin would hold it to
just a few degrees.

Plot 3 shows the Total Power outputs seen on all 4 T304 IF channels. The
RCP (A & B) side had problems (it had an amp that was oscillating) and
its output power was all over the place. The LCP side (C & D) was, by
and large, slowly changing but did have a jump in gain a few times.

Plot 4 shows the Switched Power Ratio (SDR=SP) for all 4 channels. Both
sides are running about 5% with the LCP side slightly hotter than the
RCP (this is about typical for setting the T(Cals) for the two sides).
Note that the RCP side looks very similar in shape to the LCP even
though its TP was varying terribly over the run (all the glitches are
caused by the gain changing within Ken's integration period).

Plot 5 shows the TP and SDR of a single LCP and RCP channel, IF-A &
IF-C. This shows that Ken's SDR does ignore the changes in TP gain.
While the TP traces look completely different, the SDR traces are very
similar. From here on we ignore the RCP side and concentrate on the LCP.

Plot 6 isolates the IF-C channel and shows how the TP and SDR curves are
essentially independent. Infact the SDR is only showing us the change in
T(Cal).

Plot 7 plots the SDR of IF-C with the monitored temperature of the RF
Box. There is an obvious inverse relationship between the temperature of
the noise diodes and its output power.

Plot 8 shows a normalized plot of the SDR (i.e., the deviation from the
average value). We now see that the max to min change in SDR is about 6%
for a temperature change of 9C.

Plot 9 zooms in to the area where the SDR is changing the fastest. We
see about a 1% change over 30 minutes, which is supposedly the time
period when an observer should probably consider recalibrating the
system on his favorite calibrator source. This drift in T(Cal) is barely
meeting the Project Book requirement.

Note that there is about a 2C change in temperature over this 30 minute
period. According to the manufacturer of the noise diode, the
temperature coefficient is better than 0.01 dB/C, so we should only see
less than a 0.5% change in T(Cal), not 1%. Maybe the noise diode is
seeing a bigger temperature change that what the RF Box sensor is
monitoring (this might be the case as the sensor is sitting on a board
that has a bunch of warm voltage regulators on the other side).

Recent temperature coefficient tests that I did on the Solar L-Band
receiver in the lab suggest that its noise diode is about 0.003 dB/C,
which is 3 times better than the manufacturer's 0.01 dB/C spec. The new
Solar Mode design requires an amplifier after the noise diode, along
with a 62 dB digital attenuator, to achieve the wide levels of T(Cal)
and S(Cal) values to cover the huge range of possible system
temperatures that the receiver could experience (i.e., looking at cold
sky (Tsys = 30 deg) all the way up to a 25 million degree solar flare).
I found that this unit had a temperature coefficient of about 0.01 dB/C,
so it was no worse than the worst case manufacturer's spec for a noise
diode all by itself. But, we've already seen the C-Band noise diode on
Antenna 7 is varying a couple of times worse than we can (currently)
account for.

As you might guess, we will be doing more tests over the next couple of
months. Wayne Koski has built us a nice 8-channel temperature box that
will allow us to measure temperatures anywhere we want inside the Vertex
Cabin and dump the data in to the EVLA Monitor Archive. Thus we can map
the true temperature profile of a receiver from the top of the feed all
the way down to the noise diode and hopefully determine what is the true
culprit affecting the temperature of the noise diode. Is it due to a
change in the ambient temperature of the Cabin or from the feed acting
as a "heat pipe".

The limitation of this type of SDR test is that it works fine for when
the telescope is doing an imitation of a birdbath and looking straight
up. If we move in elevation, the T(Sys) will no longer remain constant
as atmospheric and spillover contributions will change. We can try
covering the feed with an absorber but that will make the measured
switched power minuscule (we would have to crank the T(Cal) level up)
and we will need to monitor the physical temperature of the load. I'd
also like to try placing a metal plate over the feed - the amps will
essentially see their own physical temperature - but the standing waves
could be pretty awful which might make the receiver's total power
stability problematic. And remember, moving in elevation will disturb
the temperature layers inside the Vertex Cabin, thus making the ambient
temperature profile much more complex to sort out.

-Bob