[evlatests] Solar Tests Results (at L-band)

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue May 3 19:04:19 EDT 2011

    I grabbed a spare hour to review and calibrate the L-band solar tests.

    The observational sequence was this:

    3C84 in normal mode.
    3C84 with 20 dB attenuator in T302 on.
    Sun, in normal mode.
    Sun, with 20 dB attenuator in T302 on.

    Ken arranged the T304 attenuator setting algorithm to wait until the
antennas were on source before setting the gains.  (That's important for
this test!).  Examination of visibilities in PSum showed this worked as
expected.

    Some results:

    1) As noted earlier, the transition from normal to 20dB attenuator
on is very different between 3C84 and Sun.   The attenuators are in the
T302 (upstream) and we hope the T304's input attenuator to quickly (few
seconds) to 'undo' the attenuator done by the T302.  This happens as
expected when on 3C84 (the adjustment is made with 6 seconds) , but does
not when on the Sun (it can take 30 seconds or more, and often does not
end up at the right level).  The experts are aware of this.

    2) We expect a small delay change when the attenuators are switched
in.  It is indeed small -- maximum change in delay is about 0.2 nsec.
Most are much less.

    3) Similarly, a phase change is expected when the attenuators are
in.  And this is so -- but it's not small, with typical changes of a
radian or more.  It appears to be stable, as we did two cycles through
the sequence, and the phases were the same on both for nearly all
antennas.

    4) Because we don't yet have the solar cals installed, we cannot
calibrate the gain scale (the normal cals are completely buried by the
solar emission).  The earlier reported offset in PDif while on the sun
is *not* visible in the data I analyzed.  The previous report came from
C band data.  I'll check this tomorrow.

    5) We can compare the rough visibilities after 'calibrating' with
the 3C84 data.  For the 'normal mode' observing there are clear fringes
on the innermost ~10 baselines (we're in B configuration), with maximum
amplitude of ~16 Jy.  (To put this on a proper scale requires knowing
what the differential attenuation was when we went onto the sun).  In
'20 db' mode, the maximum amplitude is ~18 Jy.  I consider this
agreement to be quite good, given the difficulties the system has in
recovering the correct attenuation while on the sun.

    6) When on the sun, and after 'calibrating' the data, some antennas
give clearly wrong answers, likely due to incorrect attenuator settings.

    Overall, I regard this as quite a successful test.