[evlatests] More on System Non-Linear performance

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue May 3 16:30:28 EDT 2011

    I reported a few weeks ago on an unexpected result, wherein
observations of Cygnus A, which increases system power by a significant
factor (factor of 4 at L-band, 3 at S-band, and 2 at C-band) caused the
PDif values to noticeably decline, typically by 10% or so.  This should
not happen in a linear system with fixed system gain.  Probably
importantly, there is no such effect at X-Band.  (The effect has not yet
been tested for at higher frequencies).

    I now have more evidence of the effect, taken from the S-band data
taken on 3C273.  This object is at zero declination, so it rises
more-or-less in the east, transits through the geostationary belt, and
sets in the west.  The observations spanned 2 through 4 GHz, and we have
switched power in each of the 16 subbands (each 128 MHz) wide.
Satellite radio lies within subband 3, while another strong emitter lies
in subband 2.

    The effects of XM radio are easy to see.  As the source approached
the geostationary belt, PSum increased by up to a factor of 150 within
subband 3.  The interferor in subband 2 is clearly also in the
geostationary belt, as the power within that subband increased also, but
'only' by a factor of about 15.  Unsurprisingly, the PDif values in both
these two subbands are completely trashed during the time when the
satellite signals are dominating.
    In an ideal linear system, these effects should be confined to the
subbands in which they lie -- so in our case, all the other subbands
should show PSum and PDif values completely independent of what's
happening in the trashed subbands.

    But that's not what happened (sad to say).  All the PDif and PSum
values in the 'good' subbands show strong perturbations which reflect
the increased power in subbands 2 and 3.  In all cases, the PDif and
PSum values decline, by up to 30%.  We are seeing strong evidence for an
overall gain compression.  The effects are the same in all subbands
(other than 2 and 3).
    That the compression is present in subbands 9 through 16 (3 to 4 GHz
tuning, using the B and D IFs) is strong evidence (but not proof) that
the problem lies upstream of the T304 module.
    The 150-fold increase in power in subband 3 translates to an
increment of about 10 over the entire bandwidth at S-band -- about 10
dB.  This is significant, but well within the specs for the signal
chain.  Since the synchronous power measures are made before the
requantizer, we can't blame the latter process for the effects seen.

    We need to understand -- and correct -- the origin of this problem.