[evlatests] No Wobbles at S-Band!!!

Jim Jackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 11 19:44:50 EST 2011

Actually, I think there are two separate problems.

The one we know about and have a solution for causes the 1408 MHz
birdie in L-band and is related to the 512MHz comb mixing with the
L301 synthesizer output to create birdies that get through the T302
LSC converter.  It is a 512 MHz comb, not 128 MHz.  We are certain of
that one because we can see it on a spectrum analyzer and putting a
high pass filter on the output of the L301 fixes the problem. It also
removes other 512 MHz birdies in S and C band we can see in the lab
but that no one has ever actually complained about.  We have been
patiently waiting for the RFI sweep before buying these filters but
I'm about done with that and am ready to just buy the filters,
install them on the LO input to the T302 and solve the problem we know about.

The second problem is an intermittently reported 128 MHz comb that
apparently is intermittently seen on some unspecified group of
antennas in S-band only. We have never seen it. Every time I have
asked about it I get an inconsistent answer as to whether its even
still there or not and no one has seemed particularly interested in
worrying about it.  If it's real and causing problems, someone needs
to tell us exactly what antennas it's seen on, when it is seen, and
how the antennas are set up at the time. If it is a 128 MHz comb line
radiating in the system and is seen all the way across S-band, it
seems rather surprising it does not also appear in at least part of L
and/or C bands. Other than the receiver (and it's M&C and power
connections), the signal path is identical. I suppose it could be
possible it is getting into some S-band receivers on power, ground or
M&C signals due to some wiring or grounding problem, but everything
should be reasonably filtered to prevent that.

We'll talk about it in the meeting on Monday.

Cheers,
Jim