[evlatests] Peculiar switched power behavior ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 2 13:46:54 EST 2011

    The 'Demo Science' Herc A data from two nights ago are now on disk,
and I'm beginning the process of reduction.

    The run lasted a bit less than 7 hours, starting at 2:00 AM, local
time, and ending near 9AM.

    In reviewing the X-band data, I noted some remarkable behavior in
the switched power from antenna 1.

    A) On both the RCP and LCP sides, there is a smooth decline in the
PDif measurements over a duration of 2.5 hours (2:30 -- 5 AM),
indicating a drop in gain of about 7% (if the calculated PDif values are
truly proportional to power and not voltage).  Although most other
antennas show smooth variations, none are anywhere near as large as
antenna 1!   The variation is certainly real (meaning, it is telling us
something about gain changes), as it affects both PSum and PDif equally
-- the values of Tsys do not change throughout.  Or, it is telling us
something about a change in the value of the power produced by the noise
diode?  An inspection of the visibility amplitudes can reveal which (if
either) of these explanations is correct.  This remains to be done.

    B) Perhaps more disturbing is what is happening on the LCP side
only.  There are a number of small 'steps' in the reported value of
PDif, probably initiated by band changes (I observed cyclically through
X, C, S and L bands).  What is particularly odd is that the number of,
and size of  these steps ***depends on the subband!***.  For example, in
IF 'C', subbands 3, 5, and 7 show 5 periods where PDif is low by 7%
compared.  However, subbands 1 and 2 show 7 such periods, one of which
is low by 7%, the others are low by only 2%.  subbands 4 and 6 show only
a single drop, of 7%.  Meanwhile, in IF 'D', subband 1 shows 4 periods
of PDif low by 2%, while subband 2 shows the same 4 periods, but they
are now *high* by 2%.  The remaining 6 subbands in that IF show now
visible steps at all!
    I can't see how this behavior can be explained by a bad band
switch.  Can anybody offer a plausible explanation?

    Each antenna has its own interesting behavior.  I'll try make some
sense of it all, and give a summary later today ...