[evlatests] 36 GHz 'RFI'

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 8 18:25:33 EDT 2011

I got to look at this on antenna 22 and indeed found a
spike at around 36280 MHz and 34875 MHz.  The cause was
found to be oscillating LNA in the X-band FE.  This has
been seen before.

The FE has been written up for repair.

Details:

With LO1 @ 15234 MHz, RFI was seen at 9414 MHz @ -44 dBm
at the FE output, corresponding to the 36 GHz RFI, and
at 10821 MHz @ -55 dBm, corresponding to the 34 GHz RFI.

When the Ka band Feed was covered with foam the signals
dropped down by 30 dB.

When the X-band feed was covered with foam, the signals
dropped significantly.

When the X-band FE bias cards were pulled, the RFI went
away.  (RCP for the lower signal, LCP for the upper signal)

-Mert