[evlatests] Band Switch Failure STatistics (upper limits)

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 7 17:14:34 EDT 2011

    The previous report dealt with changes in PDif seen when we change
bands -- changes from prior values are often due to a switch failing to
latch correctly, resulting in extra loss.   This failure mode is not
critical, in that the switched power calibration system is very
effective in correcting for the change in gain.

    More critical is the class of failure where the switch fails to
close at all -- resulting in no fringes.  I've reviewed the data from
the Tuesday test, and counted the number of times fringes failed to
appear after a band change.

    From the total of 27 antennas * 113 commanded band changes * 4 IFs =
12200 'change events', I find there are a total of about 52 failures to
provide any fringes -- (0.4% failure rate).  I counted these quickly,
and may have missed a few -- let's call it 0.5%.  Nearly all of these
affect all four IFs at the same time.  However, not all of these should
be blamed on switch failures -- a failure of the subreflector to rotate
properly, or the antenna to point properly (failed reference solution?)
would also result in all four IFs failing to provide fringes.

       The few failures I noted are well distributed amongst the various
bands.  No preference for a single band to fail is seen.

    A few antennas demonstrated particularly bad behavior -- probably
not related to switch failures:

    a) Antenna 13 provided fringes only on one scan (the first) at K, A,
and Q bands -- all others were 'dead'.  I did not include this in the
statistics above.
    b) Antenna 27, in IF 1 (A and C) failed to provide fringes on about
half the scans at L and S bands only.  Curiously, the failures at L-band
were matched with zero PDif values -- but not at S-band!  (No
explanation comes to mind).
    c) Antenna 16 had a change of delay of a whopping 16 nsec, halfway
through the run -- seen at all bands, but in IF 'C' only.