[evlatests] Using S-band is Tough!

R. Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Sat Jul 2 00:12:16 EDT 2011

Just a reminder from the VLBA for which S band was one of the original
receivers.  We have been living with XM/Sirius since they were launched.
They are often the whipping boy whenever there are problems with the S
band receivers.  But I have never been convinced that we have actually had
problems with those signals as long as we don't try to observe on top of
their frequencies - as long as we tune the BBCs away from them.  However,
at 8 of the 10 sites we have had to put in band limiting filters to only
allow observations between 2.2 and 2.4 GHz (without the filters, the
receiver is sensitive at some level to 1920 to 2840 MHz).  Those filters
cut out-of-band RFI that did cause problems, probably intermod products,
in all observing frequencies we can reach.  With those filters, the S band
signals are reasonably clean.  Note that XM/Sirius is right in the middle
of those filters so they are not attenuated at all.   There are much worse
signals out there than XM/Sirius so don't assume your troubles will be
over if you block them.  One possible hopeful point for the EVLA is that
the two sites that have not needed the 2.2-2.4 GHz filters are Pie Town
and Fort Davis.  Perhaps the ELVA site is also reasonably free of the
offending signals.

Cheers,

Craig

> Rick Perley wrote:
>>     Jim:
>>
>>     We'll need filters in two IFs (like, A and C), for at least a couple
>> of antennas.  I don't think we need as many as four (we're not checking
>> closure here).
>>
>>     Anybody else with an opinion?
>>

>    If I understand correctly XM/Sirius affects all declinations, so it
> makes sense to block it out. However, the downlinks only affect 0 dec so
> we probably don't want to filter them out with hard wired filters. Is
> that what is planned ?
>
> ---Frazer
>>

>> Jim Jackson wrote:
>>
>>> Rick,
>>>
>>> Rob has quotes coming in this week for filters to block out XM/Sirius
>>> radio. As soon as we get them all in, we'll choose a vendor and place
>>> an order for some filters to test.  I imagine there is a typical 8-12
>>> week delivery time which is typical of custom RF filters.  Just to
>>> make sure were getting the right amount, how many antennas do we need
>>> to equip with these filters as a valid test?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jim

    R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
    cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
    Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
    Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA