[evlatests] No end-of-scan phase problem!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 25 13:49:08 EST 2011

    I have previously reported on an apparent problem at the end of
scans, wherein the last two records showed an apparent non-closing phase
of a few degrees.

    To reduce the possibility that this claimed effect was due to the
calibration software, Steve loaded my test data from yesterday into
CASA, and following a calibration procedure the same as mine, reported
that he could see no such effect.

    I then used the closure triangle plotting program CLPLT to
demonstrate that the data showing the apparent end-of-scan spread of
phases has in fact no unusual closure errors, either in the 'raw' nor
'calibrated' versions.  (It would be quite surprising to see these two
version with different closure relations, given that all calibration is
antenna-based).
    Furthermore, the closure properties at the ends of the scans are the
same as the data in the middle of the scans.

    It would thus appear that the problem noted yesterday (and on days
prior to this) were somehow generated by the calibration software.
Further studies are ongoing ...