[evlatests] Antenna 16, Q-band, bad polarizer?

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 24 18:48:53 EST 2011

My guess is it's not the polarizer, but a metal shard from the feed-horn
that has fallen onto the vacuum window. Corrugated feeds do seem to have
that problem, alas.

We do not check the axial ratio in the lab of receivers that have
commercial polarizers (like Q-Band). That was already done by the
company we bought them from (Atlantic Microwave, in this case).

Debris on the vacuum window can be checked for on the antenna. It
requires the receiver being dropped so the feed can be removed. If we're
lucky, a piece of metal will be found. If not, the receiver would need
to be returned to the lab and investigated further.

-Bob