[evlatests] Direct Comparison of 3 and 8 bit gains

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 15 17:18:02 EST 2011

    Michael R. asked for a direct one-to-one comparison of the
visibilities from the 3-bit and 8-bit tests of last month.  I've now
done this.

    The data were taken in parallel, so that the two 3-bit and one 8-bit
paths are at the same frequency and taken at the same time.  I did the
comparison by generating the CALIB solutions (antenna-based gains) for
the three paths, utilizing the subband covering 15.000 -- 15.128 GHz.
The solutions were made from data without applying any prior
calibration, utilizing only the central 10 MHz of data, on 3C84, which
was taken to have 30.0 Jy flux density.

    The results are shown in the attached .pdf files:  green is A1C1,
red is A2C2, and purple is B0D0, all on the same scale.
    The gains are the same to within 1% or so, with the major difference
being simply one of normalization.  (AIPS clearly has a different idea
of normalization than my eye -- I'll talk with Eric to see why this is
so).  Beyond the normalization issue, there are some 'steps' in the
gains for some antennas/IFs/paths which clearly are due to temporary
antenna-based gain changes of <~ 1%.
    All the slow changes (due to temperature, antenna gain, etc.) are
identical.