[evlatests] RFI retraction

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 15 10:58:57 EST 2011

    My note yesterday about the high RFI powers at C band should be
disregarded.  I was looking at cross-power spectra, rather than
autocorrelation spectra.  The former are relevant when comparing the RFI
to external sources, the latter are relevant when assessing the effect
on samplers.
    When I look at the autocorrelation spectra, the C-band situation is
much more benign, with the power added by the interference adding only a
few percent over the receiver noise power (when looking at the NCP).
    The S-band situation remains serious however -- Sirius and XM radio
completely overwhelm the autocorrelation spectra, so no estimate of the
added power can yet be made via the autocorrelation spectra.