[evlatests] More 3-bit test results

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 17 14:19:17 EDT 2010

    A major goal of yesterday's test -- no reported by me -- was to
examine the X-hand autocorrelations and compare their amplitudes to the
parallel-hand autocorrelations for the same antennas.  It is stated
that, given the signal replications of LCP into RCP, these should all be
the same.  I examined yesterday's data for this, but these X-hand
amplitudes were only a tiny fraction of the parallel hand.  Ken and I
determined the cause was an enormous X-hand delay, which shifted the lag
function's peak outside the delay span.

    This was corrected this morning, and the test has been re-run.  Results:

    A) The 'rms noise matrices' tell exactly the same story as yesterday
-- turning of the lobe rotators causes the noise to drop by 20%, to the
level expected by theory.  However, the same caveat applies -- we don't
*know* the real noise dropped, since we can't measure the gains when the
rotators are stopped.  (But somebody will have to explain why stopping
the lobe rotators changes the system gain by 'just the right amount').
    An extra note here:  the noises for RR and LL are identical *except*
for antenna 12, where the RR noises are 15% higher than LL.  This can
only be due to the sampler on that side (12R), since the same signal is
fed to both R and L.

    B) Turning off the lobe rotators certainly stabilizes the
'cross-auto' spectra.  (With fringe rotators on, the 'cross-auto'
spectra have two different levels, which they alternate between on
timescales of ten seconds or so).
    But -- the cross-spectra levels are nowhere near the auto-spectra.
Here is a table, with the typical value in Jy  (a value in the upper
200s would be considered right).

     Ant.        RR             LL            RL            LR
      12         450            300           200            200
      15         280            275           180            180
      22         275            275           170            170
      28        300             300           190            190

    Note the ratio of (cross/self) is about 0.64, far from the value of
1.0 we hope for.
    Is it possible the X-hand delay is still large enough to have
shifted part of the lag function outside the window?  The cross-hand
spectra still show quite a vicious slope in the phase...

    Note also the high value for RR:  450 Jy -- more evidence that that
sampler has troubles.