[evlatests] A Very Interesting Result!!!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 16 19:05:13 EDT 2010

    The signals from LCP on the four 3-bit samplers were split, so RCP
and LCP were the same.

    Ken ran the basic experiment, but halfway through, arranged to turn
of thee fringe rotators.

    The results are quite striking -- when the fringe rotators were
turned off, the rms noise levels promptly *dropped by 20%* , to just
about the correct expected values.

    Here are the two noise matrices:

    A) Fringe rotators on, LCP fed to both correlator inputs

           12         15        22        28
12       X         .19        .19       .21
15       .18         X        .16       .18
22      .17         .16         X       .17
28      .18         .17       .17        X

    B)  Fringe rotators off -- LCP still fed to both polarizations

            12         15         22        28
12        X            .16      .15       .18
15       .14          X         .13       .15
22       .14          .13        X        .14
28       .15          .14       .14         X

    The 'expected rms noise' is about 0.14 Jy -- so, except for 12RCP
(known to be not quite right), all correlators are now at the right
noise levels.

    There is one important caveat:  When the fringe rotators are off, we
cannot get any correlated signal from 3C286, so we can't calibrate the
data.  I had to utilize the gain solutions determined 5 minutes earlier,
when the fringe rotators were on.  We can not discriminate between a
gain change caused by the turning off of the fringe rotators, and a real
reduction of the noise.  But -- if a gain change did occur, it is of
exactly the right magnitude.