[evlatests] [Fwd: 3-bit test: A1 fed to A1 and C1]

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 10 13:31:16 EDT 2010

    Doug and Rob arranged that the output from the RCP T304 (IF 'A') was
fed into both RCP and LCP samplers.    If the asymmetry seen in our
'noise matrices' were due to something amiss in the T304s, we should see
identical noise matrices.  If the asymmetries are due to differences in
the samplers/demux/DTS, then the asymmetries should remain.

They remain.  The only cross-products giving the same (or close to same)
rms values are for baseline 15 X 28.

Here is the noise matrix, values are in Jy.  Note that the 'right'
answer is 0.14, or thereabouts.

       12         15          22          28
12 |  X         .20         .43         .22
15 | .16         X          .32         .16
22 | .17        .15           X         .34
28 | .17        .16         .17           X
_______________________________

    The gain values used to calibrate the data (using cross-correlation
amplitudes), in power units, are

12R           61
12L           42
15R           34
15L           32
22R          146
22L           37
28R           37
28L           34

    Bottom Line:

    The result is as expected.  It explains the asymmetry (something
wrong in the samplers/demux/DTS for antennas 12 and 22), but does not
identify the origin of the additional noise.

    As I write, the opposite experiment (LCP output from T304 replicated
into RCP and LCP inputs to samplers) is being completed.

    After lunch, Ken/Michael plan a more detailed (and lengthy) test to
re-do the '3dB' stepped power test, but with optimization of the levels
for the samplers and requantizers.