[evlatests] Preliminary Wobble Report

Brent Carlson brent.carlson at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 24 12:11:42 EST 2010

Ken,

>> There's also the question as to whether the correlator chip integration
>> time, for this test, was set to some odd ball number, or the standard
>> 200 or 250 usec.
>
> 250 usec was used.  Bob believes that that would be less
> important than the choice of LO offset and wanted to test
> that hypothesis.  We should have also taken some data
> with both the improved Lo offset algorithm and an odd
> CC dump interval, but neglected to do so.

This effect can be quite large, as it limits anti-aliasing to ~-25 dB
(~1%).  As the natural fringe rate changes, it can beat with this dump
interval and cause oscillations on some baselines.  I'd say no further
searching for causes be done until the complete algorithm is in place.

Brent

--
Brent R. Carlson
Brent.Carlson at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tel: 250-497-2346                  |  Fax: (250) 497-2355
Design Engineer                    |  Ingenieur Concepteur
National Research Council Canada   |  Conseil national de recherches Canada
Dominion Radio Astrophysical Obs.  |  Observatoire federal de radioastrophysique
P.O. Box 248, 717 White Lake Rd    |  C.P. 248, 717 Rue White Lake
Penticton, BC, Canada V2A 6K3      |  Penticton, (C.-B.), Canada V2A 6K3
Government of Canada               |  Gouvernement du Canada

"When and where humans are involved, mistakes inevitably happen"