[evlatests] Settling Times for Referenced Pointing

Bryan Butler bbutler at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 22 02:04:03 EST 2010

a BOTEC (Back Of The Envelope Calculation).

assume that for "typical" observing, you're slewing back and forth
between source and calibrator every 10 minutes (this is a rough average
between high frequency which needs it more often, and low frequency
which can be less often).

these sources are typically fairly close together (5-ish degrees), so
say 20 seconds slew and settle for each, and you have two of them per
cal-source cycle, so 40 seconds of every 10 minutes.

if you cut that in half you have 20 seconds of every 10 minutes, or
roughly 3% more time on source.  but sensitivity goes like sqrt{t}, so
it's really like a 1.5% increase in sensitivity.

that would be equivalent to about a .7 K improvement in Tsys for a 50 K
system (receiver + atmosphere + spillover + ...).

it's all cost-benefit, of course - there is a clear gain, but is it
worth the cost?  it's clear we need to modernize the system, but whether
it is worth making it faster (in slew and settle) depends on how much it
would cost...

	-bryan