[evlatests] Settling Times for Referenced Pointing

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 19 16:31:31 EST 2010

Bob B.

And it would be nice if you could to replace the motors and/or gearboxes
at the same time so that the telescopes could slew faster that the 20
deg/min in elevation and 40 deg/min in azimuth that they do at the
moment (as a comparison, the VLBA antennas move 30 and 90 deg/min
respectively).

Remember that the original design of the VLA assumed most observations
would require long periods of tracking on the astronomical source to get
a good image (say 8 hours so the UV tracks from each arm would overlap
the next). Then somebody discovered how well the VLA actually works in
"snapshot" mode. So now the antennas are slewing all over the sky,
jumping from target to target with numerous calibrator sources in
between using what we would consider today to be an undersized drive
system.

Does anybody know how much of the time the telescopes actually spend
slewing rather than tracking? My uneducated guess would say 10-20% of
the time, depending on the observing program. If you could speed the
drives up by a factor of two, you could get 5-10% more time on the sky
looking at your favorite sources. That is the same gain in sensitivity
you would get by reducing the receiver temperature performance of every
one of the front-ends by 1 or 2 degrees Kelvin (which is an unlikely
scenario as they're already as good as current technology allows). Put
another way, I think it is equivalent to the sensitivity improvement you
would get by adding an extra 25m antenna to the array (i.e., a full time
28th dish). So if you want to improve the sensitivity of the array,
upgrading the drives might be a relatively cheap way to do it.

My 2 cents worth on how to keep Bob B. busy...

-Bob H.