[evlatests] New ACU Project

Jim Jackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 19 16:03:34 EST 2010

All,

This summer , we released an RFP  to bring an Antenna Control Systems
Consultant in to work with us on the design of a new ACU for the EVLA
(and VLBA).  That contract has just been awarded to Gregory
Maglathlin of Nashua, NH who has over 30 years experience in the
design of Antenna Control Systems for Space and Defense applications.
He is currently working on a major upgrade to the 120ft   antenna at
Haystack. ( I can provide a copy of his resume to anyone who is
interested)  I'm looking to have Greg spend a week in Socorro in
early-mid January to get this started.

The current plan is to come up with a control system design based on
commercial off the shelf hardware and open source software that will
replace all existing ACU and FRM electronics in the EVLA and VLBA,
support the existing AZ/EL & FRM motors and drives, support new
modern AZ/EL & FRM motors and drives should the money become
available to upgrade them, new encoders and modern safety requirements.

I would like have an internal group discussion sometime in early -
mid December of interested parties here in Socorro to discuss ideas,
specifications, requirements and wish lists for anything we would
want a new control system to do, either now or in the future (better
pointing, faster speeds, higher energy efficiency, etc. - if you can
think of it, now's the time to mention it). With current economic
conditions, we are probably only going to get one shot at  upgrading
our control systems and will need to live with the results for the
next 20-30 years.

I'll set up a meeting when I return from vacation on the 29th.  In
the mean time, I wanted to give everyone a heads up so they can be
thinking about this.

(If I've missed anyone in the distribution for this feel free to
forward it - I'm hoping "evlatests" gets most everyone else that
would be interested)

Happy Thanksgiving,
Jim Jackson