[evlatests] Settling Times for Referenced Pointing

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 19 12:44:44 EST 2010

    Ken and I continue our testing with the goal of improving high
frequency pointing and efficiency.   One of our tests involves two
orthogonal cuts through the beam (to determine its location and
characteristics) -- one in azimuth and the other in elevation.   There
is a marked -- and important -- difference between these.

    When stepping in elevation,  the 'settling time' is very fast --
amplitudes are stable with 3 or 4 seconds, although a small amplitude
oscillation of period 4 to 6 seconds is discernible.  The amplitude of
this small oscillation is 1 to 2 arcseconds.

    When stepping in azimuth, the behavior is very different.  The
response shows a slowly damped oscillation of remarkably large
amplitude:  The amplitude corresponds to an overshoot of ~8 arcseconds,
the fundamental period of the oscillation is 8 seconds.  Even after 20
seconds, the oscillation is still visible in the data.   The damping
time is about 10 seconds -- after this length of time, the oscillations
are sufficiently small that useful data can be collected.

    I presume the origin of this azimuth behavior lies in the servo
system.  Certainly the characteristics dictate that we cannot speed up
'referenced pointing' by shortening the stepping time to less than 20
seconds.  Reducing the amplitude and period of the azimuth oscillation
would certainly be helpful!

    I attach two postscript plots to show the effect.  The data are
taken at K-band.