[evlatests] Wind-induced lean

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 17 14:53:37 EST 2010

    The tests last night were taken with referenced pointing.  The
solutions showed a peculiar effect -- an approximately 30 arcsecond
offset in all antennas, seen in either (or both of) Az or El, of either
sign.
    Ken put these data (7 observations in widely separated places)
through his pointing solver, and found that the errors are consistent
with a steady tilt, in the E-W direction.

    We note that the wind was blowing from the west at the time of
observation with gusts exceeding 20 mph.  The good news is that
referenced pointing seems to be able to recover the lean -- I got at
least semi-decent fringes at Q-band.  But we should note that accurate
high frequency observing should never be scheduled with winds above 10
mph (steady).