[evlatests] Some RFI information

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 9 16:58:08 EST 2010

    The recent rapid-fire observations at 26 frequencies gave us a peek
at our local environment.  Two issues of interest (from an RFI point of
view) ...

    1) Pulsed signals, with period 11.3 seconds, are seen at 1268.5 and
1283.5 MHz.  These are seen equally on all baselines, so almost
certainly have a distant origin.  These are not very strong, and easy to
purge.  Dan Mertely is checking into the origin of these.

    2) Continuously on signals, on some antennas only, are seen at 2944
and 3456 MHz.  The fact that these two are separated by exactly 512 MHz,
and are seen only on some antennas, strongly indicates an internal origin.

    3) I observed (without thinking) a 128 MHz-wide subband centered at
4050 MHz -- this lies squarely on the TV satellite-ground downlinks.
But despite this, nearly all baselines show good data.  Only the
shortest spacings show any sign of interference.  There are two reasons
for this happy occurance ...  (1) The antennas were pointed to the NW,
far from the geostationary belt where these satellite lurk, and (2) the
longer spacings of C-configuration provide significant relief from the
signals.  This bodes well for A and B configurations -- although we'll
have to point to lower (near zero) declinations to really know.