[evlatests] More Good News about Ku-Band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:35:27 EDT 2010

    I've reduced all the calibration data taken last Thursday.

    System temperatures are unchanged from my previous report.

    Efficiencies were measured through on/off measurements of Jupiter.
Using Bryan's model estimates on the thermal emission, and including the
(small, but notable) non-thermal component, efficiencies are found to be
in the low-to-mid 60s (percent, that is) at the low half of the band,
and about 60% in the upper half.  These are reasonable values.  A
notable exception (which bears a repeat observation) is 54% at 14856 MHz
-- right in the middle of the band.  No obvious error in the data can be
found which might explain the discrepancy.

    From the tips we can derive the opacities and spillover, using the
elevation range of 20 through 40 degrees (the justification for this
will be in the upcoming memo).  Zenith opacities are 0.014, which is
quite reasonable.  The spillover contribution is 13 to 15 K.  (In
essence, this represents the power seen which is not from the receiver,
the 3K BB, or the atmosphere).

    As noted at all other bands, the spillover is not at all constant
with elevation.  There is an excess (above the base levels given above)
at high elevations of about 1.5K.  At low elevations, there is a
remarkable additional spillover, rising from 0 to about 2.5K as the
elevation declines from 20 to 10 degrees.  This additional spillover
then declines to the 'base level' as the elevation decreases from 10 to
8 degrees.  This is the same behavior as seen at K-band -- but not at Ka
or Q bands.   No simple model (that I can think of) can account for this.

    Details and plots will be shown on Thursday.

    The overall performance of this receiver is simply outstanding.