[evlatests] L-Band Frequencies

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 15 18:06:14 EDT 2010

    All:

    I've reviewed the L-band RFI spectrum, using the high-resolution,
full-band spectra produced during WIDAR0 testing.  Some results and
recommendations:

    A)  'Low' end:  The satellite RFI begins abruptly at 1524 MHz --
from there until 1640 MHz, essentially all is lost (except for a few
narrow slots).   There are strong emitters (as many of you have found)
from 1244 to about 1260 MHz, which lies within the current low default
setting.
    I recommend that for the adjacent low-end tunings we move the
defaults up by about 20 MHz -- i.e. to center at/near 1328 and 1456
MHz.  This puts the lower edge of the lower subband at 1264 MHz, and the
upper edge of the upper subband to 1520 MHz.  This will avoid the worst
of the signals, but still leaves in the ABQ radars, and the GPS L3 link
(which is very occasional, so not a big issue).  Not perfect -- but hey,
it's a rough neighborhood...

    B) 'High' end:   I learn with surprise that for the adjacent high
frequency pair we have selected centers at 1820 and 1948 MHz.  A bad
decision, for which I take full responsibility.  The problem is that
between 1930 and about 1980 MHz lies a multitude of emission, which I
think are from cell phones.
    I recommend, for this pair, center frequencies of 1860 and 1732
MHz.  This will avoid the cell communications, but overlaps some RFI at
1680 MHz (strong) and 1690 MHz (weak).  However, as I believe these are
due to meteorological broadcasts, perhaps there is hope these are
intermittent?  Perhaps Dan Mertely can shed light on this...

    C) There is no need to change the current 'separated' pair
frequencies (1436 MHz and 1810 (?) MHz) -- these lies in quite safe zones.

    Rick